nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:38:02 -0500

There are eastern and western pecan varieties. The eastern pecan varieties are resistant to leaf diseases and can be grown in more humid areas. The western varieties have problems with leaf diseases and should not be grown in the east but are better suited for drier areas.

The pecan breeding program here at the USDA germplasm collection in Brownwood, Texas has developed a number of pecan varieties over the years. Two outstanding western varieties that should do well in Pasadena are Pawnee (early ripening) and Podsednik (the largest pecan known.) You can get these by mail order from Womack Nursery in DeLeon, Texas 254-893-6497. They have worked with the USDA on pecan breeding and could answer any questions you have.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com