nafex - [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:15:56 -0700

Hi there,

When my parents helped me buy a home in Berkeley, my mom showed a lot of interest in the two pecan trees in the back yard. Because they never successfully set fruit, I got rid of them so I could plant stuff that *would* set fruit. Recently I mentioned to her that shoots are coming up from the not-completely-removed stumps and she said "I wonder if I can transport them down here and plant them". I explained that most commercial fruit and nut trees have different rootstock than tops.

It really surprised me that she was suddenly interested enough to think of planting such a thing. I've encouraged her for a long time to no avail. Since nuts are not my concentration, I'm unaware of the tastiest cultivars that might flourish in South Pasadena, CA. Do you folks have suggestions of what I can recommend to her? Are there pecans that are self-fertile or are they all dioecious?

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

USDA Zone 9b