nafex - [NAFEX] Make a four-on-one apple tree

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Make a four-on-one apple tree
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:07:50 -0500

Bruce asked, "In grafting to the branches, do you then cut the rest of the branch off
just after the scion?"

I used a simple whip graft so the branch is cut off just prior to grafting.

Toni from Iowa wrote, "Jim, I wonder if you would consider moving a little
south?? You don't have to move right next door but not more than a
couple of miles from me would be OK."

Sorry Toni but I prefer pine trees to cornfields.

William Garthright wrote, "But when I looked into
four-on-one apple trees, I kept seeing recommendations against it, that
planting several trees in one hole would work out better."

Every time I plant more than one tree in the same hole, one becomes dominant, often to the eventual demise of the others. This is not a problem with several grafts on the same tree.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: