nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Purple Raspberries

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Purple Raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:40:40 -0400

I think this may be one of those cases where local conditions make a huge difference. We grow a row of Royaltys here and find them to have excellent flavor fresh if picked at just the right time (underripe or overripe they are indeed not pleasant). We bought a few plants from a different supplier and they appear to be a different strain, one fruiting the end of June (with fewer larger drupelets) and the other mid-July. Not sure which is the "true" Royalty and which is a royal pretender.

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Z6 (MA/RI border)