nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetle or Rose Chafer?

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetle or Rose Chafer?
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:55:13 +0000

Sorry for delay in adding to this. But is anyone else familiar with the "summer rose beetle"? It looks more like the j-beetle than the rose chafer, but appears w/ rose chafers. Steve (howdy "neighbor"), WI has had summer rose beetles for at least 20 years but j-beetles only recently.

Interesting, the semi-wild "pioneer roses" which grow at my house bloomed a little early, and were fading anyway when the ravenous rose chafers & rose beetles emerged, and I think they were a bit late. Effect of the early April freeze & snow? I think I'm seeing more differences in insect activity then plant damage, from that weather.