nafex - [NAFEX] Rhubarb

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rhubarb
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 07:45:52 -0500

Rhubarb isn't "Off Topic" because we regard it as though it were fruit.

Dylan Ford wrote, "Folks - I have heard that one ought not harvest rhubarb for consumption
after Memorial Day. Anybody know anything about this? Does it become toxic?
Thanks."

Others say to not harvest after July 4th. Both are true or untrue, depending upon how you harvest it. For the folks who mow off the entire plant for a harvest, it is very good advice because the plant needs time to recover. If, however, you only harvest the most mature stems and never take it all, assuming the plants get adequate feeding, mulch and regular water, there is no problem with a continual harvest. Here at Brambleberry Farm, we take four cuttings per year of the most mature stems, two before July 4th and two after..............................and our rhubarb THRIVES.
Now consider this: In Mid-Summer, the big, older, leaves start losing more water than the plant can handle and the plant eventually aborts those leaves. This is where Brambleberry Farm takes another cutting, harvesting those stems that would be aborted before they wither.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: