nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Loganberries, was: Black Raspberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Loganberries, was: Black Raspberries
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa,

Tayberries are very similar to Loganberries although I
tend to prefer their flavor. In terms of how they
feel in your mouth, they are about the same. The
seeds of Marion are less noticeable than many of the
other blackberry varieties because they have a bit of
a coating around the seed. That's a horrible
description, I know, but it makes them slide smoothly
in the mouth and they aren't as noticeable as some of
the other varieties.

Black raspberries are like red raspberries in that
they don't have a core. They do tend to be seedy
though as the seed:juice ratio is higher than in red
raspberries. As a result, nearly all of the black
raspberries grown and processed in Oregon (~90% of the
national production) are juiced and the seeds are
screened out.

Michael Dosstt

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon