nafex - [NAFEX] Eliminating Japanese Beetles

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Eliminating Japanese Beetles
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:36:57 -0400

George:

Among the various techniques for dealing with the JB, you did not mention the
one that is by far the most effective and long-lasting: Application of milky
spore. Hand-picking, drowning, various types of traps, spraying ground-up
beetles etc. are nibbling around the edges of this problem. If I were
thinking of planting antique roses of anything of that nature, I would be
putting down milky spore now.

Milky spore is a targeted fungal agent that infects beetle larvae in the
ground, causing them to explode and producing more spores. It will continue
to be effective so long as it can find a few larvae to infect, which can be
20 years or more. It will also naturally expand its range into neighboring
areas if JB's are present.

I don't fully understand reluctance to consider milky spore unless it is
concern over the initial cost. This product is expensive to produce, and the
initial application will cost something. But the long-range benefits
overwhelmingly justify the initial expense. Milky spore is now sold in a
dilute formulation designed to be applied with a common lawn spreader, but I
favor use of the pure material because you get much more of the active
ingredient for your money. Application can be made with a teaspoon, but the
cardboard tube applicator sold by the manufacturer is much easier and faster
to use. I have also found this product to be effective when applied at much
lower rates that those indicated on the label. You can stretch out a 4-lb.
can of pure milky spore, intended to cover 10,000 sq. ft., to over 40,000 sq.
ft. or more if you are willing to do the walking. If JB larvae are present
in the soil, it will work.

When I apply, I do try to get 35-40 feet into adjoining properties, but it is
not true that JB's will fly in from long distances to defeat your efforts.
They will simply be gone, with the exception of a few stragglers, which I
welcome to keep the spore reproductive activity going.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA