nafex - [NAFEX] Robins

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Robins
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:51:23 -0500

Bill,
I don't you try the fake berry decoys I spoke about last week. Works for me! Of course, it is a little late for this year but.....................there's always next year. Incidentally, I don't remember if I mentioned that plain round red beads don't work in cane fruit. For cane fruit, you'll need berry beads - that's what they are called, "Berry Beads." Also. like I said, "It doesn't work 100%, but it helps." Robins are easily fooled but other birds less so, but then, robins do the worst damage (here anyway). Of course, fledglings won't be fooled either because the fruit is ripe when they leave the nest.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Right now, I'm particularly annoyed with the local robins. The late
freeze killed about half of my black raspberry canes, so I've got a
smaller crop than normal. And the robins are eating them before they get
ripe. Usually, I've got plenty of raspberries, so it's no big deal. But
I'm wondering if I'll get any of them this year. The patch is too big -
and too thorny - to use netting, so I guess I'll just live with it. They
laugh at anything I put out to scare them away, unless I stand there
myself (and even then I have to patrol the patch, since they'll sneak in
on one side or another).

Bill

  • [NAFEX] Robins, Jim Fruth, 06/11/2007