nafex - [NAFEX] Fertilizer deficiency

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Akhtar Khwaja <Akkhwaja@aol.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fertilizer deficiency
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 08:07:12 -0500

Donna wrote: "This turned out to be a boron deficiency. We'd upped the pH and the organic matter, a recipe for boron deficiency, and we have clay soil. I'd say southern clays were notorious for boron deficiency except that no one seems to be talking about it. This problem with southern clays has been recognized for many years, Louis Bromfield talks about it in a book written in the 50's, but my leaf samples only puzzled the local co agent."

Donna,
When you see sick looking leaves and wonder what is causing it, collect a baggie full of leaves and send them to K Ag Laboratories, 2323 Jackson Street, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901, for a plant tissue analysis.
Boron deficiency may not always be the culprit. I had crumpled up leaves on my blackberries and K Ag's analysis came back indicating a copper deficiency. So I spread copper sulfate at the rate K Ag recommended and the problem disappeared. K Ag does all of my soil tests and plant tissue analysis; I wish I owned stock in the company. For all of the fertility problem that are mentioned on this blog, we NAFEXers ought to be keeping K Ag busy.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Fertilizer deficiency, Jim Fruth, 06/07/2007