nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Brown Out

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Brown Out
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:30:43 -0500

If you have not watered your trees during that three week period, they are short about 3" of water, since fruit trees need an average of 1" of water per week.  You should use a root feeder to get water to the deeper roots.  if they have been watered and you think your trees may have fire blight, they will look like the trees in the photos at  http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/fbpicts.htm and at http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omblight.html

There is also the possibility of a mineral deficiency and you can use the photos at http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/apple.htm to aid in identifying a possible deficiencywithout a soil test.  There is an index to most fruit trees at the bottom of the page.  I just had 6 trees tested for what i though may be fire blight and it turned out to be a zinc/boron deficiency!  Hope this helps!