nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio over-wintering

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio over-wintering
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:33:32 -0500

Jim,

In northern climate zones there is only one generation of PC per season. In southern climate zones there can be up to three generations. The PC flourishes in wild, unsprayed habitats, because population levels and fruit infestation levels are not regulated effectively by natural enemies. In natural habitats, unsprayed apple and plum fruit is usually the host for this pest. Adult PC overwinter under ground debris, often along hedgerows or along the borders of woodlots. The host range of the plum curculio are apple, nectarine, plum, cherry, peach, apricot, pear and quince but they can survive on wild plum, hawthorn and native crabapple. Although a few adult PC may overwinter in commercial orchards, the majority survive in adjacent overwintering sites. In the spring, as soon as ambient temperatures begin to reach 50°F, adult PC emerge from their overwintering quarters and begin to move into orchards. PC can be found in apple orchards even before apples bloom, but the adults are usually most numerous after blossoms begin to open. New adults may continue to immigrate into orchards for a 4-6-week period in early spring. Although adults are present in apple trees during bloom, developing apple fruit is usually not susceptible to PC injury until after petals have dropped from the young fruitlets. After petal fall, PC damage apples either by feeding (making holes in the apple with their beak-like mouthparts) or by ovipositing (cutting crescent-shaped oviposition scars in the fruit). Fully grown larvae leave the fruit, burrow into the soil, and pupate within an earthen chamber. Adult weevils emerge about 4 weeks later. Most of these adults enter diapause after several weeks of active feeding. If there is no fruit, they can still survive on wild plum, hawthorn and native crabapple. Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com