nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry care

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry care
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:16:30 -0500

Bill, if you want the berries on the Hinnonmaki Red to size up before they
ripen, you probably should remove every other one.

Good thing I decided to do this. And it's easy to see that I'm a complete novice at this fruit-growing business. My gooseberry bushes look great, and I've been very pleased that nothing was eating the leaves. But I never thought to look closely at the berries. Duh! When I went to thin them, I discovered there are worms in many of the green gooseberries. A bright green worm that moves very quickly when disturbed. I'd heard of currant worms (which I suppose these are?), but I'd read that they attacked the leaves of the plant. As I say, I wasn't smart enough to keep a close eye on the developing berries. Oh, well, live and learn.

The infested berries are obvious, since they're a bit fuzzy. And they pick off very easily. So I removed all of the wormy berries that I could find and tossed them in the trash, then picked about one third of the remaining green gooseberries for a pie. I'll spray the bushes with Bt as soon as it looks like we'll have a couple of days without rain. It's been a remarkably - wonderfully - wet year here, so far.

I've been spraying Bt on my peaches, too, but it still looks like I've got peach twig borers (and on the sour cherry now, too). I've never actually seen those worms, and I've taken apart the dead ends of the twigs to look. Perhaps they're just too small to see very easily? Or is there something else that will do the same thing? If it's not a worm or a caterpillar, then Bt isn't going to help at all.

Anyway, I just thought I'd admit my stupidity with the gooseberries. I'll learn,... eventually.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat. - Rebecca West, 1913

  • Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry care, William C. Garthright, 06/02/2007