nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dying pecan- can I determine variety of survivor?

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dying pecan- can I determine variety of survivor?
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:35:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
<Lucky.Pittman> wrote:

> > I can differentiate it from most of the northern pecans in my
collection, based on its growth habit and bud
> structure, but when you compare it with Creek(its full-sib) and some of
the other Southern pecans, I can't tell
> them apart.

I was under the impression Pawnee was a northern pecan? According to Bill
Reid's recommendations, its one of a few pecans that will fill here in the
north half of Kansas. What differentiates a Rebel pecan from a Yankee? Is
it the Mason/Dixon line.

Mark
Kansas territory