nafex - [NAFEX] Gooseberry care

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry care
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:23:05 -0500

I planted several different gooseberries a year ago, and they're doing quite well, despite getting little direct sunlight. Well, in our climate, that's probably a good thing. Of course, we've been getting a lot of rain this year, which I'm sure they like. But I have a couple of questions about summer care (I've seen conflicting information on the web):

1. Most of my plants have set gooseberries (all except the Poorman), but the Hinnonmaki Red is absolutely loaded with berries. They're strung almost solidly along many branches. Do I need to thin these out a bit? I could pick some of the green berries for pie (no, I'm not going to cook it, but I can easily give them away) if necessary. Or don't I have to worry about thinning gooseberries? Note that I'm growing these for fresh eating.

2. These gooseberries are thorny as heck, and they tend to grow low. In fact, some of the young shoots are lying flat on the ground. Should I do some summer pruning and remove the lowest shoots? I thought maybe that would let the plants put more energy into the remaining shoots that are more erect. I'll be pruning off the lowest ones early next spring, anyway. Or do I want to leave all of the vegetation this summer, so that the plants can soak up all the light they can get? Both ways seem logical, to me. What do you say?

Thanks!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
For only $399, you can send your kids away to spend a few days this summer with Ollie North, professional traitor, frolicking about on a military base and pretending to be brave warriors with absolutely no risk. It's the perfect activity for young Republican chickenhawks-in-training. - PZ Myers