nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry-solonaceae

  • From: "drosehngs1@juno.com" <drosehngs1@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry-solonaceae
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:35:11 GMT

Could you further inform me on the cultural requirements of solonaceae?

Esp. - I just planted 2 goji & 1 wolfberry (these are not the same
plants, no matter what you may hear elsewhere) and, though they seem to
be doing well so far, I want to aid their growth more so if possible.

Thanks.

George Drosehn
N. Delaware - zone 7

Please note: message attached

Berries average 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter. There is seedling variation though, and it's likely that with some selection and good care 1/2 inch berries would be easy to attain. My current crop is all from a single large berried plant I selected last year and I expect the seedlings will have larger fruit than average. Plants will average 3 feet tall and may spread that much. They like the same conditions as tomatoes. The berries come in trusses like cherry tomatoes and it's much easier to pick them by waiting until all the berries on a truss are ripe, then snip the truss with your fingernails. If you strip them, they juice all over your hands. Once you plant them, you'll probably have them come back as volunteers for years to come.
And though they are Solanums, I've never seen blight or disease of any sort on them. With their frost hardiness, it might be fun to graft a tomato to one of the plants and see if it gains any hardiness.
-Lon Rombough

For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com