nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pecan problem

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pecan problem
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:54:33 +0200

Hallo Lucky,
thank you, your link has been very interesting for me because of the very informative resistance tables.
We should focus much more for better resistance...even for Juglans and other fruits!
let me just add a link, you know for sure, but which could be interesting for other growers:
National Clonal Germplasm Repository for Pecans and Hickories:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/CARYA/
after that go e.g. to Pecan cultivar index:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/CARYA/pecans/cvintro.htm

ciao
Hans

Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu schrieb:
Hans recommended Ernie Grimo and John Gordon's nurseries as good sources of grafted pecan - and they are good; but...I don't know that I'd recommend any of the northern pecan varieties that they're growing for someone in in the TyTy area (south GA). Folks who can grow Southern pecans and have them fill adequately will probably not be impressed with the small to tiny nuts those of us in more northerly climes must settle for - though many of the northern/midwestern varieties I've had occasion to sample have better flavor/higher oil content than the old Stuart and Mahan varieties I grew up eating as a kid in LA(Lower Alabama).

The original poster in this thread(sorry, I've already deleted it, so I don't recall who started it.) would do well to look at this extension bulletin on varieties recommended for home and low-input pecan plantings:
http://www.aces.edu/timelyinfo/Horticulture/2002/January/RecHomeLow.pdf

Potential suppliers of good scab-resistant pecans for folks in the eastern
portion of the Southern pecan belt:
Underwood Pecan Nursery, Foley, AL; (334) 943-8056
Dellwood Pecan Tree Nursery, Foley, AL; (334) 943-8693
Clint Mayo, Grand Bay, AL (334) 865-4126

Lucky

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):