nafex - [NAFEX] Sumac fruit opportunity

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sumac fruit opportunity
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:07:49 -0500

While scientists are off in the rain forest collecting samples for medicines, there is fruit here that goes uninvestigated. Staghorn Sumac fruit has antibacterial/anti-fungal properties. In our world where new forms of antibiotics are becoming scarce, Sumac holds a clue; I'll explain:
Here at Brambleberry Farm, we harvest a great many different kinds of fruits, all but one of which need refrigeration or freezing for long term storage. Sumac is the exception. We make a fruit syrup from the berries. We store unprocessed fruit in sacks that are kept out of the weather. The fruit doesn't rot. It doesn't ferment. It doesn't seem to break down in any way. If I had taken a few more Organic Chemistry classes, I'd investigate Sumac as a possible antibiotic. If any of you have the expertise, go for it because I'm not likely to ever do anything more with it than make syrup. I have used both Rhus hirta, Staghorn Sumac, and R. glabra, Smooth Sumac. I use R. hirta mostly because it imparts more flavor. than R. glabra.
BTW, Sumac Syrup possesses the flavor or a citrus.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com