nafex - [NAFEX] Deer fences

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Deer fences
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:57:35 -0400 (EDT)

In 1979 I read a letter to "American Fruit Grower" which described a technique for enhancing deer fences and making very high and expensive
ones (8 feet plus) unnecessary.

The writer described how he had erected a smaller and cheaper fence (I think around 6 feet) and then had strung about 3 1/2 or 4 feet in front
of it, and the same height off the ground, a single wire. The idea was
that the deer had to position themselves a certain distance out from
the fence in order to jump it. If they were prevented from occupying
that position, they couldn't jump. He claimed that it was successful.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada