nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds.
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:50:11 +0530

Dear Donna,

I am pleased to have your mail.

Natsudaidai DOES FLOWER in March and the fruits DO RIPEN in May.  There is NO doubt about it.  The fruits start turning yellow in December but are fit for consumption in May.  The word natsudaidai in Japanese language means "orange colour in summer". That is why it is also called Japanese Summer Orange.

It is a quite common fruit in Japan.  Another trait of this plant is that it grows in relatively cooler areas, even alongwith low chilling apples.

I was in Japan on a lecture tour of Japanese Universities and Fruit Research Stations in 1991 for a few weeks at the invitation of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science as their Senior Fellow.  I saw this fruit in Shimane Prefecture and was greatly impressed with its unusual maturity time.  So I decided to introduce in my area of India ( a hilly state).  I brought few seeds with me and raised about 50 seedlings.  I was working with in the Department of Fruit Breeding and Genetic Resources of the University of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan.  I had a planned a trial of this fruit at the university.  But since I left my job with the university to work for company, so the trial could not progress.  I had, however, gifted some seedlings to few friends and they started bearing after a few years.

It is not like retaining Valencia oranges on trees after the season.  I have worked on Valencias and here in India, you cannot retain after 15th of February.

Oregon Exotics seems to have been closed now.  But I was greatly impressed by the owner Jerry Black, who had come to me at Solan in 1991 and was a very young man.

I am also sending pictures of Natsudaidai as attachment.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
www.lesserknownindianplants.com