nafex - [NAFEX] USDA ARS GRIN

  • From: "Regina M. Kreger" <regina@kreger.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] USDA ARS GRIN
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:12:32 -0400

I just Googled Natsudaidai and, as usual, the USDA Agricultural Research Service's GRIN page came up (Germplasm Resources Information Network). I've always thought it was a great resource, very useful, quite extensive, easy to navigate. Anyway, I found a link on the page to ***Please tell us why you value GRIN Taxonomy***.  The link is http://www.ars-grin.gov/~sbmljw/cgi-bin/message.pl?taxon .  There is a free-text comment box with the following intro:  "Your comments can help us document the value to our users of GRIN taxonomic data. Knowledge of projects or agencies/organizations that rely on these data can assist us in demonstrating the impact of this resource and maintaining funding to continue our work. Some indication of the importance of your work and specific examples of cost-saving benefits resulting from use of this information would be most helpful." Well, I value it just as a curious fruit-fancier and gardener, but I know some of you have something a little more interesting than that to tell them to justify some of our tax dollars continuing to go to support what I think is a very useful service.

Regina in Maryland, 7A
enjoying a beautiful Spring morning