nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: [rarefruit] Discussion aims of the group

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: [rarefruit] Discussion aims of the group
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:46:53 -0400

On Apr 15, 2007, at 9:06 PM, rob hamilton wrote:

Dear membership,

This is an interest comment. I have only been with NAFEX for about 6 years. Some some aspects or this post I agree and with and some I don't. I feel this is an excellent opportunity for our membership (at least the on-line ones) to chime in to let the board know what you want.

I find NAFEX, and this mailing list in particular, very helpful and interesting. It has helped me with common fruits (how to graft apple trees) and with less common (at least in the US) fruits, such as where to get a good cornus mas or what currants are good. It has helped me find less favored types of common fruits, such as small- fruited blueberries. It has given me the opportunity to contribute towards a an edible honeysuckle project, and to trial a cold-hardy pomegranate. Of course, even the mundane stuff, like apples, isn't completely mundane - I don't know if they will ever fruit, but I have grafts of a bunch of cultivars whose fruits I can't buy, courtesy of my NAFEX friends. I've also killed a lot of plants that turned out not to be hardy in my backyard. :) (Not exotics, but exotic to NE, for good reason as it appears.)

I have also been encouraged to try a lot of unusual fruit when it is available through this list.

So, I'm not a fruit explorer in the sense that I wander through the woods and find new or abandoned stuff (although some NAFEXers are) but I do like to explore fruit in a small way, and NAFEX helps me do it.

Not sure exactly what feedback you are looking for, Rob. But I like what NAFEX is currently doing, and I hope it keeps doing it.

Ginda