nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus kousa propzam

  • From: growyourown@earthlink.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus kousa propzam
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:42:09 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

With Robs comments in mind I thought I would share this little bit of info
I just read in "Dogwoods" by Paul Cappiello and Don Shadow. Ernest Wilson in
1913 described the fruit of some as "juicy and fair of flavor" I assume this
was from his travels in China. Mr. Cappiello speaks of the fruits of most
varieties as being as mealy as an old Red Delicious apple. He does however
point out that the Variety "Propzam" or the Prophet as being large plump and
as sweet as any.
My limited experience has been more along the lines of the mealy Red
delicious.
I havent yet looked at Mas and all its cultivars. I know there are some
faith followers of this species on the list. I just havent warmed up to its
fruit yet. That said, I have never had anything but raw fruit.

Mark
SW ohio

  • [NAFEX] Cornus kousa propzam, growyourown, 04/15/2007