nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit blooming without pollinators

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit blooming without pollinators
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 05:03:29 -0500

While many have experienced damage on their fruit trees this past week, I'm furtunate that my apricots are late bloomers. I have JerseyCot and another late blooming variety, they haven't bloomed fully until now. My peaches and plums and all others haven't bloomed yet. Now the question is, my apricot is almost in full bloom, there's no sub freezing temperature in the forecast, but what pollinates the apricots? There's no insects out yet in this cold. Would they get wind pollinated? Would the blossoms release pollen if the outside temperatures are below 50F?

Bass

Bethlehem, Pa, Zone 6