nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit fans create a stink over odourless durian

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit fans create a stink over odourless durian
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:30:33 -0500

I bought some kind of frozen dessert with durian in it. It smelled and tasted a bit like mango with onion and garlic in it. Not bad, and I could get to like it I think. My husband was horrified at the smell and still talks about it. I note that he is bothered by smells that don't bother me, like a batch of kimchee I made once, he and my son made me sit downwind of them to eat it. And though we both kind of like the smell of distant skunk, if the dog gets skunked he won't pet her for weeks afterward. (Note that all these smells are based at least partly on sulfur compounds.)
I'm figuring that peeled frozen durian was only a very mild sample of the real thing. Donna