nafex - Re: [NAFEX] freeze

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] freeze
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:11:01 -0400

I have experience with sprinklers saving apple and pear crops during
spring freezes to the low 20s. Trees coated with ice kept good-looking
blossoms and leaves and set fruit.

I do not know about blueberries. I covered some of my rabbiteyes during
this freeze, but could not cover all. The rabbiteyes and southern
highbush were in full bloom, the blooms are now looking damaged (tan
color) but the leaves look OK. I see no difference between my covered
and uncovered plants today.

Betsy Hilborn
USDA 7a

I was hoping that my sprinklers would keep the blueberries from getting
too damaged. This morning it was about 11 deg. F. and everything
covered with ice. So cold today that it's barely melting, and due to be
as cold again tonight. Anybody got ideas or experience with this.
Looks like the damage is not as severe on the plants with ice on them
(some of the sprinklers got ice buildup and wouldn't turn so some
blueberries were unprotected)). Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN

sites.
permission!

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.