nafex - [NAFEX] Growing organically

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing organically
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:11:23 -0500

I've been selling at farmers' markets for a lot of years and have learned that most customers do not want organic produce. Oh, they will all SAY they want organic but the want it at supermarket prices. Customers want perfect produce; they handle every tomato and if they see a slightest imperfection, they reject it. Customers also want their produce to be the same size as that which they find at supermarkets.
One time, after sorting through my displayed tomatoes, a citiot asked me, "Don't you have any more BIG tomatoes?" "Why do you need big ones?" I asked. "I'm going to cut them up for a salad," was her reply.
I have watched vendors come in to sell certified organic produce and they either stop coming because much of their produce doesn't sell or they drop their organic certification. In my opinion, "organic' will become the trend when customers stop being so fussy. What's the problem with a tiny pock or ding? And so long as organic producers are able to grow less perfect fruits than their non-organic counter-parts, their organic produce must, necessarily, cost more if they are to stay in business.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com