nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Rooting Above The Graft

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Rooting Above The Graft
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 07:55:54 -0500

Yes. But notice that many growers are grafting far higher these days. Any sprout at a graft level I would view with suspicion as well. Still. you might air layer these and use them for root stock,

.. orig msg ...

>The planting guide from Miller Nurseries says to make sure the graft is above ground level,... but only with dwarf apples. Won't other dwarf fruit trees sprout roots from above the graft, if they're planted too deep?

I was just curious why it was only apples that needed the graft to be kept above ground level. The point is, I know, so it doesn't root above the graft and you lose the dwarfing effect of the rootstock. But wouldn't this happen with other fruit species, too?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised. - Dorothy Parker