nafex - Re: [NAFEX] They are predicting lows of 21 F for Friday night and Saturday night

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] They are predicting lows of 21 F for Friday night and Saturday night
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

2 questions:

Listers, I have young apple & pear trees out of the ground. Some potted, some
bare-root in bags. I could use ideas on whether I should plant them into the
ground
ASAP, or keep them stashed in an unheated shed until this cold snap is past.
Apples
look full dormant yet (but I bet they are awake); pear buds are swollen.

SB, are you sure the infection after the freeze was fireblight? One spring
after a
frosty cold wet bloom season, my trees ended up w/ something like FB but I
did some
research and decided it was Pseudomonas blossom-blast. I never took a sample
to a
plant pathology lab (it was alarming only on one old pear tree), but I will
probably
have more chances in the future.

--- Stefan Brandle <> wrote:

> 21 F two nights in a row. Oh, dear. This is getting worse. Woe is me. Or
> to be more precise, woe is those of my plants that have fallen for the
> fickle promises of temporarily warm weather. I can spray, cover, etc. a
> plant or two, but I guess this is where I have to wish the majority of
> the early-blooming plants good luck. Leaves come back fairly easily, but
> blooms don't. Fortunately, only a few have actual flowers open, but
> we'll have to see how it goes.
>
> Four or five years ago we had a very late (May 19, 20, 21, or so) set of
> hard freezes. Right after that, I got my first fireblight outbreak. All
> three older apple trees and the two bartlett pears got nailed. I kept
> cutting chunks out of the pear trees and beat fireblight on one, but
> lost the other completely. The 15-20 foot apple trees were so badly
> covered that I didn't even try dealing with the problem. They all shook
> it off, leaving a number of dead twigs, including the
> fireblight-susceptible jonathan. I guess that it's better to get the
> freezes now than a month and a half from now.
>
> -- sb

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/