nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Question - dumb

  • From: Clifford Cain <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Question - dumb
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:37:06 +0100 (BST)

Tom
I am in the UK and graft to preserve old cultivars.  Often the only scion wood available is water shoots.
I have no scientific control for the following observations for I do not have the space to test them,but ...
I have a feeling that the following have an effect on the resultant tree
1.  What side of the tree the scion wood came from - wood on the N side of the tree produces apples that are not as colourful as those from wood on the S side
2.  The ripeness of the wood.  If the wood has received the benefit of a good summers  sun, it comes into fruiting sooner than wood from a poor (UK cool wet) summer.
3.  The fruitfulness of the wood (which is akin to your water shoots question)  If the wood comes from mature branches, rather than from young trees - it comes into fruit sooner.

Two thoughts sprung to mid regarding why the tree has not flowered.  As you described the tree as growing well I wondered if there was an excess of Nitrogen.
Then there is the rootstock - as already mentioned, the speed in which the tree comes into fruit is a character of the rootstock.  Why not try a very dwarfing stock - like M27 or even M9 which should give fruit by year 3/4.  This will at least give you a picture of what is happening.  If they  fruit - you know you just have to wait the 12 years as some else suggested
What ever route you take - your patience will be tested
Regards
Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK

Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo.