nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Whip and tongue with two different sicons?

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Whip and tongue with two different sicons?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:28:16 -0700 (PDT)

I've had good luck with double whips on apples - for not too thin
rootstocks, cut into a sort of wedge and whip-and-tounge graft
scions on each side.

Some rootstocks have side branches too.

I also do veneer grafts which are tricker and not as successful, but
a fair number take.

(I'm a beginner grafter, maybe 30 grafts total, probably 75%
successful)

--- Randall Burd <burdrs@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is there a way to graft two different scions using a 'whip and
> tongue'-like
> approach? The multigraft trees that I have purchased commercially all
> appear
> to have been grafted using a bud method, often leaving an undesirable
> acute
> branch angle?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I hope that this is not too much of a novice question. Thanks.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time