nafex - [NAFEX] hardy fig?

  • From: "drosehngs1@juno.com" <drosehngs1@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hardy fig?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:51:51 GMT

Was at Longwood Gardens earlier today, and (outside) saw a number of
large "Magnolia" figs. Granted that these had a southern exposure (and
most were against a small wall), but all appeared to have been
unprotected and yet survived winter very well.

Would this be a recommended cultivar for zone 6/7 without protection?
My fig experience is limited to a brown turkey, which I cover over
(mulch, soil) for the winter, so any experiences would be appreciated.

George (zone 7)

Interested in getting caught up on today's news?
Click here to checkout USA TODAY Headlines.
http://track.juno.com/s/lc?s=198954&u=http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm?csp=24