nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts onstone fruit

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts onstone fruit
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:05:18 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, please see my previous post-- read some Alex Shigo material.

Lee, latest research I saw on those hormonal anti-sprout treatments is they
also
reduce the natural ability of the cut to seal/ heal. I forget just how, or
what
auxins & hormones are involved. But these sprays are not recommended as much
as a
proper pruning cut. And ideally the cut is made when the branch is small
enough
that resprouting to replace the lost branch isn't such an issue.

--- Thomas Olenio <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On a related front… What is the current thinking on where to make the
> pruning cut? You hear everything from “leave a short ¼” stub to “cut it at
> the branch collar”. What is the current thinking?
>
> Is the pruning cut location the same for major limbs and water sprouts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> _____

Looking for earth-friendly autos?