nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:34:49 -0600

Thanks for the many replies! I'll have to give it some more thought, but I've got plenty of time. I wasn't thinking of ordering a fig until next fall, for spring 2008 delivery. And I'll take a look at the Hardy Chicago, too.

It seems that Stark Bro's is exaggerating a bit, since most of you mentioned troubles with figs even in Zone 6. I'm trying to think of a good location, but I don't think I'd have a microclimate that would make much difference. On the other hand, it's generally hot and sunny - and dry - here in the summer, so I might be able to ripen figs. Hmm,... that's if a late freeze didn't put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Not too practical, I know, but I'll have to see. The thing is, this is one of the more "exotic" fruits that's actually delicious fresh. So many of the minor fruits seem to be mostly good for preserves, which doesn't interest me. Or they have other disadvantages for my location (for example, I believe that hardy kiwi and edible honeysuckle would likely break dormancy in our fluctuating winter temperatures - sudden changes are common on the plains).

Thanks again. This is a great list!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (cold zone 5a, heat zone 7)

--
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night. - Isaac Asimov