nafex - [NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds/budsticks.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@sancharnet.in>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <rarefruit@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds/budsticks.
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 22:37:42 +0530

Dear all,

I have seeds of Natsudaidai - JAPANESE SUMMER ORANGE.  I have budsticks too.  Natsudaidai is a probably a natural cross between mandarin and pumello.  Its unique feature is that the fruits ripen in April-May.  In fact, Natsudaidai in Japanese language means ORANGE COLOUR DURING SUMMER.

This fruits is grown in Japan.  About 10% of Citrus fruits of Japan are estimated to be natsudaidai.  The fruits are larger than most oranges.  They taste somewhat sourer than oranges.

They grow in sub-temperate region where peaches and plums or even low chilling apples are the main fruit crops.

I had brought the seed from Japan in 1990.  They are doing very fine in my area.

My experience with natsudaidai seedlings has been that these take LONG to come into bearing, the trees are THORNY and the fruits are also thick and rough skinned during the initial 4-5 years.  So I think if the new plants are raised by budding, these problems will be solved.

Those who are interested in trying this VERY NEW KIND OF CITRUS FRUIT, may write me.

Best regards,

Very truly yours,

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi  HP  175001, INDIA
Phone: 01905-222810, 94181 - 81323
www.lesserknownindianplants.com

  • [NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds/budsticks., Dr. Chiranjit Parmar, 03/09/2007