nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:34:23 -0800 (PST)

No, pawpaws are not tropical plants. They will not
grow in the tropics and are not native to the tropics.
Try growing one in the tropics. It will die.

I have a half dozen paw paw trees in my backyard. It
grows well here because it is a temperate tree.

An apple growing in Africa is still a temperate plant.
A pawpaw growing in Africa is still a temperate plant.

The fact that a pawpaw has tropical relatives does not
make it a tropical plant. Persimmons have tropical
relatives. They are still temperate plants.

--- BekeeprTop@aol.com wrote:

> Yes, they are tropical plants. Paw paws are the
> only appearance by their
> plant family in the north. In fact, a member of its
> family from the tropics is a
> major commercial fruit - what's that the Cherimoya?
> Have you seen Paw paws
> trees? They look tropical. Have you tasted the
> fruit? They taste tropical.
> If it talks like a duck, and walks like a duck, its
> probably a duck.
>
> If an apple is grown in tropical africa, one would
> hardly call it a
> "tropical" tree. One would describe it as a
> "temperate climate" tree that had an
> unusual appearance in a tropical area. There was an
> apple that was adapted to/bred
> in Isreal what's that the Ein Shemier? It was
> adapted by requiring fewer
> chill hours for its bud to break - one certainly
> wouldn't therefore conclude the
> apple was a tree of the Middle Eastern desert.
>
> We had cactus growing here in Massachusetts for 5
> years. The Connecticut
> Agricultural Experiment Station has a circular
> garden with a very lush,
> successful cactus plant, would you then describe
> cactus as a plant of maritime
> Connecticut?
> Charlie Paradise
>
> << Paw paws are certainly not tropical plants but
> the
> fruit they produce is described by many to be
> "tropical" since its taste and texture is more
> similar
> to many tropical fruits than to most temperate
> fruits. >>
>
> <

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html