nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Orange

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Orange
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:30:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I have a few hundred Hardy Orange (Poncirus trifoliata) thanks to a previous
owner who did not keep them bush-hogged out of a cattle pasture. I have
eliminated about half of them so far.
Per some discussions on this site a couple years ago, I harvested ripe fruit
in September from many of the trees, looking for ones with fewer seeds and
less bitter pulp. There was very little difference between all the fruit I
tested. It is intensely flavored, but makes good lemonade (1 tbsp juice to a
cup of sugar and a cup of water). I made some good marmalade from the peel
and juice, but I have not bothered to repeat it.
The peel contains a sticky white sap until the fruit is dead ripe.
Cut branches and trunks, after drying for a week, are so high in oil content,
they burn as if they had been soaked in gasoline!

>3) Oranges - Ponicirus trifoliata is listed as having fruit that is
>inedible (bitter, I assume) or lemon-like. What are people's experiences
>out there? Is it worth growing as a lemon substitute? Does the fruit
>mature in sone 5? Does anyone have experience with any of the other
>winter-hardy hybrids out there?

Jim Nottke
Zone 7a
west of Winston-Salem