nafex - Re: [NAFEX] addendum

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] addendum
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:44:00 -0800 (PST)

Good bet. The last frosty & cold rainy spring here (s.WI) caused a little
outbreak
of possibly this "blossom blight" in my plantings, mostly in the oldest pear
tree.
Had to remove a lot of diseased wood just before regular summer-pruning
season.
Nothing else has ever bothered this pear tree, so I'm not really complaining.
Especially since the disease didn't hurt anything else-- a few tiny 'flags' of
blackened leaves on a couple apple trees.

It wasn't worth taking a sample for testing, but I did some research and
tentatively
identified it as "blossom blast", a Pseudomonas. If I do the reading again,
I might
see mention of persistant dead flowers, but that wasn't then a symptom I was
skimming for.

Interesting-- when I dissected the dying cambium of the pear branches, it had
a very
sweet odor, not usual for the tree's wood.

--- David Doud <> wrote:

> there was a question a couple weeks ago about blossoms hanging on the tree
> into
> the winter season -
>
> I opined that it was a characteristic of certain varieties to do that, and
> there
> was nothing to worry about -
>
> and I stand by that opinion - pretty much -
>
> but, I was pruning thru some Gala on friday and came to a tree that had
> 'blossom
> blight' (fireblight of the blossom cluster, infected during bloom) - those
> blossoms/small spur leaves were hanging on tight -
>
> now, Gala is one of those varieties that do hang onto mummies and aborted
> blossoms, but I could tell the difference in that the fireblighted spurs
> exhibited more of the 'shepards crook' form, both the blossoms and spur
> leaves -
> usually the bud was also dead, tho many had a live bud on the bourse -
>
> so - I still wouldn't worry much about taking propagation wood off such
> trees, if
> there was no ready alternative, as propagation wood is of a different
> nature than
> the spur blighted wood - -
>
> just thought I'd share -
> regards - D

The fish are biting.

  • [NAFEX] addendum, David Doud, 02/25/2007
    • Re: [NAFEX] addendum, tanis grif, 02/25/2007