nafex - [NAFEX] addendum

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] addendum
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:07:22 -0500

there was a question a couple weeks ago about blossoms hanging on the tree into the winter season -

I opined that it was a characteristic of certain varieties to do that,  and there was nothing to worry about -

and I stand by that opinion - pretty much -

but,  I was pruning thru some Gala on friday and came to a tree that had 'blossom blight' (fireblight of the blossom cluster, infected during bloom) - those blossoms/small spur leaves were hanging on tight -

now, Gala is one of those varieties that do hang onto mummies and aborted blossoms,  but  I could tell the difference in that the fireblighted spurs exhibited more of the 'shepards crook' form,  both the blossoms and spur leaves - usually the bud was also dead,  tho many had a live bud on the bourse -

so - I still wouldn't worry much about taking propagation wood off such trees,  if there was no ready alternative, as propagation wood is of a different nature than the spur blighted wood - -

just thought I'd share -
regards - D