nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blackberry plants and deer

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blackberry plants and deer
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:38:45 -0600

Mice never seem to bother wild blackberries. Back in the 80's our goats ate the leaves on wild blackberries till they finally exterminated them. There were of course several more goats standing around the property than we would have put up with had they been deer. Maybe blackberries grow in thorny thickets not only to reduce being beat up for their berries, but also to reduce access to their leaves. Donna