nafex - [NAFEX] Edible Sunscreen Recommendations

  • From: "Tony Adrian" <nursingdata@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Edible Sunscreen Recommendations
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:34:38 -0600

We live outside of Opelousas Louisiana, just north of Lafayette zone 8B. Our house is elevated 15 feet in the air with a covered wrap-around porch. We currently have no shade trees. We would like to put trellises on the outside borders on the east and west sides of the covered porch. We would need to have these in large pots such as whiskey half barrels. We are organic gardeners

Our primary goal is to block the full force of the sun from striking the east and west sides of the house in the summer and early fall. With that in mind we are seeking suggestions for plants and hope to fill the following criteria:

-1- Deciduous preferred but not required

-2- Prefer something that produces food but understand that direct sunlight is limited

-3- If non-food producing flowers or vines preferably something that has a nice scent such as Confederate Jasmine.

Thanks you all in advance,

Tony