nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Experience: Frost!

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Experience: Frost!
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:47:32 -0800

On Jan 13, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:
I don't know
how many or what size trees you need to protect. I've protected single
trees from much colder weather with a light bulb hung in the branches and a
sheet. Most citrus we grow here in northern CA should be able to survive a
few nights in the twenties just fine. Some of the mandarin (and other
citrus) orchards are up Highway 80 in Newcastle, where this is a more common
occurrence.

Thanks, Steven. I've got young standard citrus trees that I was hoping to get good growth spurts out of - they were bought to be an edible privacy fence...eventually. I have Washington Navel, Moro Blood Orange, Oro Blanco Grapefruit, Dancy Tangerine, Meyer Lemon and Bearss Lime. I have dwarf stuff as well including a variegated calamondin and a Tavares limequat. Other trees in my yard are young loquats , young feijoa (also for the fence), young pear, apples, apricot, peaches, almond and nectarines. And plums. Established trees in the yard are a Mission fig and an avocado of unknown provenance.

Spidra Webster
http://www.spidra.com