nafex - [NAFEX] New Experience: Frost!

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New Experience: Frost!
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:27:07 -0800

I was wondering if the folks from areas that regularly have to worry about protecting their fruit trees/plants could help me with some advice. We've been experiencing unseasonably cold weather here. I've already got frost damage to some of my citrus and other plants in the yard because by the time the weather forecast came in a couple weeks ago, it was too late to go to any nursery and get cloths or whatever it is I'm supposed to do. I'm a native Southern Californian and I've never had to deal with preparing for frost damage.

Given that some of my plants have already been damaged, what the best approach for further forecasts of frost? Should I be cutting off the old frost burn or leaving it in place? Should I be using paper, cloth or plastic to cover my plants? What's the best way to prepare? Please excuse the ignorant questions but you wouldn't expect a sheikh to know about ice skating, would you?

Spidra Webster
http://www.spidra.com
Berkeley, CA