nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wine making -best rust-resistant black currants?

  • From: Bob Hartley <bob@sprucemt.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: mark@markriver.com
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wine making -best rust-resistant black currants?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:39:39 -0500

Speaking of blends, I've found the flavor of autumn olive jelly too weak and that of aronia jam too strong but a Goldilocks mix (4:1 to 10:1) better than either.

Bob Hartley

Naomi wrote:

I do not mean this as a slam. I have two black currant bushes in my front flower bed. They produce a couple of gallons of fruit each. I make some wine at home. I have plums, peaches, apricot, apples , grapes….Usually I use a gallon jug for wine making if I want to keep varieties separate. I use the 5 gallon if I am doing “Spring blend” or” late summer blend”. I wind up with a lot more wine than I am inclined to drink. This past year I added a vinegar culture to one of the “blends” just because I had too much wine. It made a lovely fruity vinegar. Fortunately we also like sushi.

25 feet of Black currants can produce a lot of juice. Nice jam though.. I make “blend” jams a lot also.

Naomi