nafex - [NAFEX] Wine making -best rust-resistant black currants?

  • From: "Naomi" <dragon-star@cableone.net>
  • To: <mark@markriver.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wine making -best rust-resistant black currants?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:39:36 -0700

I do not mean this as a slam.  I have two black currant bushes in my front flower bed.  They produce a couple of gallons of fruit each.  I make some wine at home.  I have plums, peaches, apricot, apples , grapes….Usually I use a gallon jug for  wine making if I want to keep varieties separate.  I use the 5 gallon if I am doing “Spring blend” or” late summer blend”.  I wind up with a lot more wine than I am inclined to drink.  This past year I added a vinegar culture to one of the “blends”  just because I had too much wine.  It made a lovely fruity vinegar.  Fortunately we also like sushi.

25 feet of Black currants can produce a lot of juice.  Nice jam though.. I make “blend”  jams a lot also.

Naomi