nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what's compatible with pear?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what's compatible with pear?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:25:57 -0800

That was Sorbus domestica. There are a lot of other Sorbus species besides it, and many have good fruit. Look up Whitebeam.
-Lon Rombough
On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:13 PM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:
Sorbus sounds interesting, but when I skipped back in time I found Lon asking Hans how to propagate them because someone he knows couldn't get grafts to take on whatever he was using for rootstock... presumably something that sounded like a better bet than pear.  Quince might be good, only I just got one from Hidden Springs even after they warned me about disease problems.  Two successful quinces would be too much, two disease riddled quinces would be worthless times two.
    Is Aronia too distantly related to be graft compatible?     Donna  _______________________________________________