nafex - [NAFEX] what's compatible with pear?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] what's compatible with pear?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:16:46 -0600

 I have a couple of volunteer pears in places where I wouldn't mind to have them provided they weren't dropping pears in yellow jacket season.  I'd been thinking that I'd have to choose and graft a really really early variety, or a really really late one.  Then it dawned on me that I might graft something else altogether... one of those relatives that normally a person would graft pear onto to dwarf it.  Hawthorn is one, but is aronia closely enough related to work?  Anything else you can think of?    Donna