nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place ofthesugar

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place ofthesugar
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:32:28 -0500

Hi Mark,

I am more familiar with non cooking jams and jellies. However, I think it
should work fine with cooked jams.
Agar is a seaweed mucilagen and when completely melted with heat and cool
again to room temperature, it then gels to the specific density of the
liquid in which it is integrated....
The sugar content or the pectin content of the fruit is not an issue, so you
can see the advantage if you want a jam with less sugar.
The agar does not add a taste or a quality to the jam, either than
consistance and a certain brilliance (glow) which adds to the appeal of the
colour and the jam. I don't know whether there is the same effect with
cooked jams but I don't see why not.
I know what you mean about the paste effect of thick apple pectin jams, as I
have seen this thick pasty effect before.
I am not sure, but I think that if you were to add too much agar agar to
your jam you might get this paste effect as well after a while (don't forget
that agar is a solid density to begin with). I have made layered
agar-yogourt-fruit cool summer dessers before (without recipes per se) and
ended up once with a thick jello like consistance in one of the layer.
This is new frontier and you have to experiment and, most of all, keep notes
as one tends to forget specific quantities from year to year.
Maybe you can tell us the results of your tests next season....
Agar agar is a fascinating product from the sea which deserves interest.
Hélène