nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Progagating Hardy Kiwi

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Progagating Hardy Kiwi
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:49:23 -0600

Title: Message
Also, Cornell has info about growing hardy kiwifruit at http://www.hort.cornell.edu/extension/commercial/fruit/mfruit/kiwifruit.html.

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lon J. Rombough
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 11:17 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers

Kiwi don't usually root worth a darn from dormant cuttings. Most are started from green cuttings in a mist bench with bottom heat. In that setting they will root in about two weeks. It is sometimes possible to push a small shoot from a dormant cutting, then put that shoot into a mist bench. Otherwise, you might try layering a few new vines, as an alternative.
I once visited a kiwi nursery when the propagation was still being worked out and at that time they hadn't discovered the rooting of green cuttings. Instead, they were growing seedlings and grafting the varieties to the seedlings.
-Lon Rombough