nafex - [NAFEX] Progagating Hardy Kiwi

  • From: "Geoffrey Stone" <gfstone@bellsouth.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Progagating Hardy Kiwi
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:52:59 -0800

The two kiwi I purchased (one male, one female) had roots that we snarled in the container.  The seemed to do ok this 1st year but I thought that I'd try to propagate from cuttings as I've heard stories about plants with snarled roots not lasting beyond a few years.  I bundled the cuttings into two by sex and put one each in a pot surrounded with peat moss.  I put these pots in an old tire packed with leaves and put that on the north side of my shed for the winter.  In the spring I plan to put a few of these cutting in several pots with one or two nodes above the surface after dipping the bottom node in a rooting hormone.  This will be my 1st attempt at this.  Does it make sense?  Any suggestions?
Geoffrey Stone
Black Mountain, NC